Housing Is A Basic Human Need Messaging Guide For Housing Justice
This resource helps renter and tenant organizers, homeowners, community leaders, housing policy advocates, and everyone who cares about housing as a basic human need talk about housing justice in a way that gets your neighbors excited, wins policy change, and shifts narratives to advance a vision of racial justice and homes for all.
By: Jane Mantey, Ph.D. and Dennis Chin
Messaging Guide cover with background of various different views through a building’s window of people going about their lives.
America is ready for a national conversation on housing.
Housing is a Basic Human Need: A Messaging Guide for Housing Justice is a new Race Forward resource created to jumpstart this discussion. The tool aims to help renters and tenant organizers, homeowners, community leaders and housing policy advocates talk about housing justice. Our goal is to get your neighbors excited about the issue, win policy change, and shift narratives to advance a vision of racial justice and homes for all.
With this messaging guide, you could have a deeper housing discussion with audiences beyond your existing base.
Developed as part of the Housing Justice Narrative Project, this guide includes:
- An overview of narrative strategy and the role you can play in it
- Researched and tested housing messages, as well as explanations on why they work and the data behind them
- Examples showing how housing organizers have successfully used these messages
- Graphics and content to share on social media or use as inspiration
- Quick tips on messaging that will attract new supporters and build your base