The Impact of Our Work Is Evident in Communities Across the Nation.
Working with community organizations, the public sector, non-profits, government agencies and departments, philanthropic organizations, and others, we bridge the gap to ensure the voices and needs of those most impacted are centered in policy decisions in areas such as housing, education, climate justice, policing and the carceral state, and energy democracy.
Here are some examples of our impact:
- Through the generosity of funders and donors, we have contributed to grassroots organizing groups working to advance racial justice, elevate the leadership of young people, and center the voices of people in their communities. During 2021 and 2022, we contributed $2 million to more than 40 organizations.
- “This is a great example of what we call radical mutual aid...During this pandemic, our services were needed more than ever...with this generous contribution from Race Forward, we can increase our resources.” – Roberta Rael, Director of Generation Justice in Albuquerque, New Mexico
- “Thank you for excellent work. You ALWAYS inspire me to learn and spread awareness that leads to action for a racially just society.” – Anonymous Race Forward Donor
- Our racial equity training workshops have equipped hundreds of thousands of people with the tools they need to effectively talk about racism and address systemic racism in their practice.
- This has been the best anti-racism training I have been part of. It allowed me to think through my own biases and also think about better ways to support scholars throughout the network. I had really great conversations today and feel comfortable tackling racism daily.” – Building Racial Equity Training participant
- “I was provided with tools I could use tomorrow, even if I don’t feel like an expert at this time.” – Organizing for Racial Equity Training participant
- With over 4,000 attendees and growing, our biennial Facing Race Conference is the largest multiracial, multigenerational, national gathering of racial justice leaders and movement makers. The conference provides a generative space for organizers, activists, leaders, and all those working to advance racial justice to share ideas, strategize, and find joy in the movement.
- Based on the success of our Government Alliance on Race and Equity (GARE), a national network of local, state, and regional jurisdictions, our work with government to help them embed racial equity in their policies and systems has expanded to now include working with the federal government through our Federal Initiative to Govern for Racial Equity (FIRE).
Our work for racial justice is responsive to emerging issues. For example:
- During the COVID-19 pandemic, we distributed $100,000 in funds to families and communities of color to support targeted mutual aid efforts focused on emergency housing, food insecurity, and the barriers to virtual learning.
- In 2019, we launched the three-year Butterfly Lab for Immigrant Narrative Strategy project. The Lab consisted of 16 top immigrant justice leaders who worked to change the narrative around migration and immigration.
- In addition to our continuous calls for police reform and accountability, we are partnering with community organizations and groups to address mass incarceration, criminalization of people of color, immigration humanity, and law enforcement policy through our Mass Freedom initiative and our Policy Innovation Lab.
- In 2021, we launched H.E.A.L. (Honest Education Action Leadership) Together, a national organizing initiative of parents, students, and educators who are fighting to provide students with an inclusive, accurate, and fully-funded education.
At Race Forward, we are committed to our mission of advancing racial justice, and we will continue to be responsive to the evolving needs of our communities and fight against systemic racism.
To learn more about our impact: